Through my experiences as a nurse and nurse leader, I have accumulated core skills that I felt made a difference in making work life easier for me and other nurses at the bedside and in frontline leader roles.
These topics provided the foundation for our Journey.
To confirm these foundational topics for Saving Nurses, I turned to 20 brilliant nurses I have worked with to complete a needs assessment survey to identify their priority topics they believe would make their work lives better.
This is what these nurses come up with:
- Nurse engagement
- How to be staff’s voice
- Building supportive relationships with new nurses
- Motivating change through evidence
- Communicating system level goals to bedside nurses
- How to communicate to staff when you don’t have enough information from administration
- Moving from helplessness to empowerment
- Palliative care
- Helping families in crisis
- Conflict resolution
- How to handle ‘sour apple’ staff
- Dealing with bullies
- Daily survival skills
- Workload management
- Setting priorities
- How to inspire career growth
- Staying aligned with self and boss
- When to stop talking
- “Cure burnout” !
- Self care
- Self-awareness to self actualization
- Achieving clarity of thought
- Letting go and self forgiveness
- Emotional intelligence
- Healthcare changes
- Reimbursement trends
- And yes…as always – Staffing levels & budgets
How are we going to tackle these lofty topics?
I believe work life and leadership skill development requires inner clarity and courage.
The Saving Nurse experience will provide opportunities for you to explore your thoughts and feelings while you reflect on the content presented. It’s our thoughts and feelings about topics and situations that drive our actions. This is where growth and change happens.
This journey will benefit you at work as you develop and apply your own style of work life and leadership skills with growing clarity and confidence in yourself, others and nursing.
Can we have a chat room?
Can we post questions for others to respond?
How about a workbook?
Webinars would be great.
Let me just say that my technical knowledge and skills are growing and not there yet. I’m sure there are formats that can accommodate this. We’ll explore this as we go…
For now, Use the Comments section following each post. I will respond to each comment and you can respond to each other’s comments. Post your questions there as well. I’m sure that some questions and comments will generate future posts.
I hope your holiday preparations are bringing you Joy!